8.13.2012

On being a 30-something student

It's not that there's anything peculiar about being 32 and a graduate student. For all I know, 32 could be the average age of a Ph.D. student, if not on the younger side. And there are loads of perks to this career path: my schedule is flexible and changes every semester; I have (some) resources to explore new ideas; there is an expectation that I will spend at least 2 years writing a book-length project on the theme of my choice. I'm expected to be creative and curious, to dig in archives and attend conferences with like-minded people with the same obscure interests. Most days, there is nothing I'd rather do! I think back to my office-gal days of gray cubicle walls and sad Lean Cuisine cubicle lunches and I do not regret a thing. Cubicles bum me out.

And yet, there are some days when all those Grand Narratives of Life start to creep in—narratives about what one "ought" to have achieved by their 30s; ticking biological clocks and diminishing 401(k)s. I don't know where this pressure comes from and whether it's from too much TV, too many blogs, or just totally internalized. I'm talking about the specific subject position of being 32 and "still a student." Let's break that down. STILL, as if I'm in a state of suspended undergraduateism, unwilling to graduate from my futon. And A STUDENT, as if I'm Buster Bluth, a dabbler and a dilettante waiting out the sluggish economy in an English department, on someone else's dime. And "still a student" erases all those other professional things I do—teaching my own classes, presenting at conferences, trying to get my work published, taking blurry Instagrams of my desk.

cleandesk

I have friends who are reaching the pinnacle of their (non-academic) careers, friends who are on their second house and second child. These friends found their career choice earlier than I did and are wonderfully encouraging about my work. But it can be difficult to stay on my "still a student" stipend-and-adjunct budget and forgo vacations, dinners out, and even that rare luxury of saving money I'm always hearing about. It's difficult to live paycheck to paycheck at a time in my life where I'd hoped I'd be secure: traveling, small house, maybe someday, small child.

This isn't about "having it all" and its various debates, at least it isn't about that for me. It's about time going by far too quickly, the insecurities of being a late-bloomer, and worrying that by the time I'm at a full-time teaching position others will be retiring. I know it's not a race and there's no referee marking the checkpoints of adulthood and dropping white flags when I lag behind (I just had to Google "do referees drop white flags" by the way).

It's easy to forget that I chose this route, that I like this route, that I occupy a pretty privileged position by virtue of being able to live this way, that I'm writing this in between dissertation work on a Monday at 2 p.m., in my home and in yoga pants. Sometimes I need a reminder that life events aren't one-size-fits-all and although there may be some very real biological end-limits I'll eventually have to think about (starting a family seems, haha, inconceivable right now), I'm working toward my goals and am just where I ought to be. Messy desk and all!

messydesk

I don't mean for this to read as a pity-party, although I fear it does and I'm aware it's oozing with first-world-problems. I simply want to be honest about the ups and down of this grad school life, in hopes that maybe someone out there can relate.

6 comments:

  1. This is EXACTLY how I feel. I'm 31, in an English MA program, and hoping to be starting a PhD program a year from now. I spent most of my 20s wanting to go to grad school and being all afraid of having no money / falling behind on having "a career" / not being able to buy a house / etc etc. But even though my budget is tight, I feel like I'm finally right where I'm supposed to be. It's a relief after feeling miserable and adrift for 7 years post-undergrad. I can't even fathom having a kid right now, but I'm happy for my friends who are at that point. There's always a trade-off in life, I think, and the best thing is to be as content as possible with the path you've chosen. I mean, unless that path totally sucks. But fortunately, being a literature scholar does not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment (also: first comment, woo!). It's funny how things work out too—I know I would have been totally unprepared if I had gone straight from undergrad to grad/PhD. There are lots of people in my cohort and program who did just that and are successful and brilliant, but I just know I would not have been ready. Did you spend your 20s working in another career? And I totally hear you: even on my Debbie-Downer days I try to remember that being a literature scholar doesn't suck, even if having no money does! What are you studying in your MA program?

      Delete
    2. First! (I...kind of still don't understand what that's about.) Yep, I spent my 20s in academia, but as an office drone. I did publicity, so I did get to write, but I worked with a lot of grad students and professors and always felt slightly envious. I was often thinking "I don't want to interview you, I want to BE you!" Now I'm gleefully studying children's literature. I don't have a particular theory lens through which I read/write, but I'm drawn to border identity and psychological theory. What about you? Did you have a 20s career before starting grad school?

      Delete
    3. The good thing about working in an office is all that good vacation time! I'm glad you were able to cross over to the other side, as it were! Children's literature sounds so awesome, I always meant to take a course on it but never did. Right now I'm studying/writing about 19th-century U.S. and Caribbean novels, slave narratives and food (this totally makes sense in my head), so border identity has been something I've been thinking a lot about lately.

      I had an odd string of jobs before grad school, but I spent most of my early 20s in publishing, then went for my MA when I was 26ish...and now here I am! Good luck in your work!

      Delete
  2. Yesyesyes to all of this. Brilliant. Can you hear me clapping in Cambridge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dr.! I can but it's faint, because a little bird told me you're defecting from our little town!! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...