8.24.2012

Read: Books about School

Books set in the university or high school hold a special place in my heart. To celebrate one of the Most Wonderful Times of the Year, here's a round-up of some of my favorite novels that chronicle students, teachers, professors, or other academics.

Books about School

(Disclosure: These links are via Amazon Affiliates, meaning that clicking on/purchasing from them may yield a small commission for Lean & Loaf. See my new Blog Policy for more info about them)

One.  Prep: A Novel by Curtis Sittenfield. Prep is set in a prestigious New England boarding school and chronicles the experiences of Lee Fiora, boarding school newbie and scholarship outsider. This is a fast, fun read with spot-on descriptions of the boarding-school elite (or at least how I imagine them). Plus, the characters have awesomely old-money East Coast names, like Cross Sugarman.

Two. Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl. This book is kinda bizarrely awesome. Also set in an elite boarding school (such a rich novelistic setting, boarding schools. A public school gal myself, I didn't even know they still existed outside of Switzerland until freshmen year of college when I discovered that something like 80% of my class had boarded), also has awesomely named characters (Blue van Meer), but this one contains a drawn out mystery and a mysterious clique. It got mixed reviewers for its obscure references and wordy prose, but I thought it was really clever and creative, a fresh take on the boarding-school trope.

Three. Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner. A classic! Written in 1987 but set in the Depression and post-Depression years, Stegner follows the long friendship of two couples, one rich, one poor, both entrenched in the surprisingly-still-relevant publish-or-perish world of academia.

Four.  Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. Not technically about schools or university perse, but Murakami is my favorite so I had to include him. This novel (now a film too, which I need to see!) is a coming-of-age story of university student Toru and his long-lasting love for two women, set against campus political upheavals.

Five.  Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis. Another classic! First published in 1954, brilliantly funny and featuring another set of professors: Jim is a history professor navigating the bizarre, stuffy, quirky world of the ivory tower.

I also wanted to include the new novel Penelope  by Rebecca Harrington, set in Harvard, but I haven't read it yet. Have you? What else would you add to this list?


4 comments:

  1. Have you read The Art of Fielding yet? So good and impossible to put down. It's supposedly about baseball, but I think it's more of a college/school book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't--I think the baseball thing intimidated me a bit. But I'm adding it to my list! Thanks for the rec.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummmmm Straight Man by Richard Russo is hands down my absolutely favorite book about academia. I re-read it every few years and it never gets old.

    I also love Michael Chabon's Wonder Boys, and found I am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe to be one long guilty pleasure.

    I think I smell a book club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A book and wine club you say?? I am in. I love Richard Russo but haven't read Straight Man--it's on the list too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...