8.27.2012

Snack Attack

I recently revamped my snack-strategy after nearly a semester of mid-afternoon slumps that made me completely unproductive. A nutritionist friend suggested I rethink the way I ate throughout the day.

I had thought my snacks were fine: a banana, a yogurt, etc., but she pointed out that I needed to balance the short-term burst of energy of a carb with the long-lasting energy of a protein in order to keep my blood sugar levels steady and even. It was such a simple, "duh" change—adding some almond butter to a banana or a corn tortilla with a piece of cheese. And I felt the effects almost immediately!

Based on her suggestions I jotted down a list of pairings that I keep on my fridge. The following suggestions are so, so simple but when I'm hungry, I need all the guidance I can get. These suggestions are based on my dietary needs/preferences: i.e., vegetarian and gluten free (I love Mary's Gone Crackers).

Choose something from column A and something from column B, keep the portions small, and you should be able to fuel your day without doing that awful head-nod-head-nod-head-nod-jerk-awake drowsy thing you just did at your desk.


Photobucket

Disclaimer: This is the advice of a laywoman. I am not a nutritionist, an RD, an RN, an MD, or in the health field in any way. When I get my Ph.D., I anticipate a lifetime of saying "I'm not that kind of doctor."  Consult your doctor or a certified nutritionist to figure out what works for you, etc. etc. 

 

1 comment:

  1. such good ideas. i also find that just a piece of fruit doesn't cut it for me--this is very helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...