9.14.2012

Trying New Things, or: I Hiked and Didn't Get Eaten by a Bear

67D98E5B-7B94-4BA0-9B63-A0BDC6E566DF-65544-00003C951C8500ED

One of my "fall resolutions" (is that a thing?) is to take up hiking. My aversion to hiking is both long and well-documented. Too many bugs, too many things I'm allergic to, too many opportunities to get lost. Bears. Blair Witches, etc. And isn't it just walking, but in the woods?

Despite my preconceptions and completely justifiable fears, I'd never actually given it a fair chance...or tried it at all. I'm not sure what changed my mind but I thought it would be fun to try something new. Plus, after a week of new routines, long commutes, and long hours, I was itching to spend some time outside. So I met my bff and my sister for our midweek inaugural fall hike. And it was fun! Just like walking, but in the woods, in fact!  It was lovely to do so, and to scramble up hills and surround myself with trees and green and a friend with a map.

We live near some great hiking trails, hiking trails I have never once used (until yesterday). The autumn is going to be beautiful and I'm excited to have hiking buddies. The one potential downside? These trails are so close to a highway that the dull roar of commuters never quite goes away. On the plus side, I reason that as long as I can hear the highway I know I'm not lost or Blair-Witched.

D687C2C8-5CBE-4021-ABFB-23F9B8D83680-65493-00003C92F2CCD1F4

There's something so energizing about trying new things or taking on challenges that are completely unrelated to career or school or anything else. It's even more surprising to find I enjoyed doing something I long assumed I'd hate. And trying something new mid-week, when I tend to fall into the same old routines, was particularly rejuvenating. Have you tried anything new lately? Would you?

1 comment:

  1. So true! I went to a yoga class in our new neighborhood on a Monday and ended up getting an unexpected private lesson (no one else showed up). It was really wonderful, and I really enjoyed a new activity.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...